For this test we measured the Hotpoint RZA54G graphite tall freezer with an energy rating of A, from the product specifications it should use approximately 257kWh per year, this equates to about 0.7kWh/day, however this is the manufactures test using their optimum settings.
We measured the freezer using the mid-setting of (3) for 24hrs.
Total Electricity Consumed; 0.78kWh over 24 hrs (average of 32.5W)
Over a year this would equate to 284.7kW or £37.01 and 153kg of CO2
Consider if your fridge or freezer is 10 years old, it could be using twice as much, or over 15 years old, and you could be looking at four times this figure.
Energy Saving Tips for Fridges and Freezers;
- Keep to a minimum the number of times and length you keep the door open, this not only saves electricity but reduces wear
- Keep fridges and freezers away from heat sources and direct sunlight if possible
- Keeping your fridge and freezer full will reduce the energy required to keep the fridge cool
- Defrost frozen food in the fridge, this will reduce the energy the fridge requires to keep at a constant temperature and is safer than defrosting at room temperature
- Keep the condenser coils clean and dust-free, allow space for air to circulate, and do not block vents
- Defrost fridges and freezers regularly as this ensures that they are working more efficiently
- If your fridge or freezer is older than 10 years, a new energy efficient model could half your refrigeration costs
- Ensure the doors seals are tight and working by closing the door on a piece of paper, if it can easily be removed, consider replacing the seals
- Consider installing an eCube, which reduces the number of cooling cycles required as it measures food temperatures not air temperature
For information on the electricity consumption of other products check out "How Much Electricity Does a ... Use?"
Please Note the energy use figures are taken from an energy monitor and are not scientifically analysed, therefore the range and margin of error is greater. If you would like a specific product tested let us know and we will endeavour to check it out.